Yummy Recipes from Raw on $10 a Day or Less

One of my favorite blogs is Lisa's Raw on $10 a Day (or Less!) I made three of her amazing recipes she posted on December 19th.
Her "Nut Nog" is so delicious and I enjoyed every last drop.
I read the ingredients in her recipe, knew they would make a killer nog, threw everything in the blender and chugged it down in about 4 seconds flat! It was absolutely delicious. See her recipe here.

Nut Nog

The second recipe of hers that I just had to make was Marinated Broccoli and Mushrooms. I made a version of Marinated Broccoli and Tomato. I didn't have mushrooms so I improvised and came up with this. You can see Lisa's recipe for Marinated Broccoli and Mushrooms here. I used sun dried tomatoes that I had just purchased and they were begging me to eat them. Here is my variation to her recipe:
Marinated Broccoli and Tomatoes

10 organic sun dried tomatoes, preservative free, soaked and sliced
1 bunch of organic broccoli, chopped and stems peeled and diced
2 T Pine nuts
3 T EVOO
2 T raw honey or raw agave
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 T dried onion flakes
Place broccoli, sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts in a large mixing bowl. Whisk together the oil, honey, garlic, paprika, S and P, red pepper flakes and dried onion. Pour the marinade over the vegetables and toss well. Allow to marinate 24 hours. Serve cold.

My husband really enjoyed this salad. He was pleasantly surprised by the heat that the red pepper flakes added. I actually prefer Lisa's original recipe for the marinated broccoli and mushrooms, it is actually my favorite vegetable recipe of hers.
The next delightful recipe I made was her Chocolate Raspberry Tart. I brought it over to my parent's house for a family gathering. My sister-in-law also eats raw and I wanted to bring a special dessert. Well, let me tell you this is a SPECIAL dessert. In my case it actually made a very special breakfast the next morning too. Not only is it delicious it is beautiful and looks so impressive but you won't believe how easy it is to make. 

The only things I changed in the recipe was the addition of carob powder and I used hazel nut flour in the crust. I like to mix carob and cacao. I would have made it with 100% carob but then our oldest son wouldn't have eaten it; he refuses to eat carob. I really wanted him to be able to enjoy a healthy dessert with us so I mixed in only about 1/4 of a cup of carob powder to the cacao; he never detected it. Next time I am going to try and use sunflower seeds in the crust. I had read that you should not eat nuts with avocado. None of us had any tummy troubles but next time I may try a seed and raisin crust versus a nut and raisin crust. My husband didn't get to taste it so I will be making another one this week!
+JMJ+Today I am grateful for the short time I had to spend with my brother and his family. They live in Ohio and we don't see each other very often, so when we are together we cherish each and every minute. We always spend a great deal of the time laughing..to the point of tears! Makes it fun that's for sure. Love you guys!! Save travels home. Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining