Body Language, Fasting and Recipes

We are still working on our "Good Words" this week as we tend to our individual weaknesses. Speaking of tending, I have been tending to my new little square foot garden and my potted herb garden all week, and everything is growing beautifully. It looks like things are growing overnight! I think my homemade compost is super charged or something. I have never seen plants grow so quickly.
 I am afraid to admit though, that I have faltered on my "Good Words". It seems like everytime I set out to work on something openly, the evil one latches on and drags me down. No sooner did I get it set in my mind that I was going to work on good words, and low and behold, over critical comments came spewing out of my mouth! Yikes. This is going to be harder than I imagined--working on my short comings requires focus and mental clarity or else I become so easily distracted from the task at hand. This leads perfectly into my focus for today. Friday for me is a day for fasting and abstinence. The perfect chance to regain control.
Read these beautiful words of John Paul II:
"Fasting means putting a limit on so many desires, sometimes good ones, in order to have full control of oneself, to learn to control one's own feelings, to train the will in good.
Fasting is being able to say "no", bluntly and firmly, to what is suggested or asked by pride, selfishness,and vice; listening to one's own conscience, respecting the good of others, remaining faithful to God's holy Law.
Fasting, finally means depriving oneself of something in order to meet the need of one's brother, becoming, in this way, an exercise of goodness, of charity.
Fasting, understood, put into practice, lived in this way, becomes repentance, that is, conversion to God."
Next week our Lenten focus will be "Good Signs". You know what I'm talking about--body language. Do you show negative or positive body language as you interact with others?? Facial expressions are a big one. The old saying, "If looks could kill". Boy I sure don't want to be giving away looks like that. It is really difficult trying to concentrate on your facial expressions for a given period of time. Try it--focus on what facial expressions you use out in public. Do you smile at everyone that you pass in the grocery store or do you stare staight ahead with a blank face?
I tried it yesterday when I went food shopping. I smiled at every person I passed and I am happy to report that they ALL smiled back. Two older men even said hello! It seems that we need to get back to the days of waving to our neighbor as we drive down the street and smiling at others as we walk pass, offering to open a door or help reach something up high for an elderly person who's a bit unsteady. Or better yet, saying hello, good morning or good afternooon regularly! Make it a habit to greet those you pass. People these days are afraid of one another, afraid of confrontation. It is really crazy in my mind. I am ready for a better sense of community. We all need each other and it is time that we start to make a change, one person at a time.
I am hoping to show a good example to our children so they can become pleasant citizens using friendly and polite body language, "Good Signs", to those they come in contact with and "Good Signs" here at home to my family members.We are constantly sending out signals to others by the way we dress, talk, act, and use our body posture.
What about food choices?? That is a huge sign showing how you feel about yourself. Good food choices can show others that you care about your health and well being. Food choices you make for your children can show how you care about them. People tend to watch more than listen. I have become more aware of the eyes on me over the years (my five children) and am trying to work hard on my "Good Signs". Let's hope I am more successful next week than I was this week!
Back to fasting. Fridays are a day for me to focus on Our Lord's Passion. One way I am able to focus is by limiting my food intake. Gentle fasting, with healthful green smoothies, fresh green jucies and fresh fruit juices.



 Lots of lemon water and detox tea also help me to feel cleansed and refreshed. When I don't have to worry about my personal meal prep I am freed to focus on what is most important to me, and that is Christ. So here are some great smoothie recipes to nourish the body and help clear the mind of unnecessary worldly clutter. Enjoy!

Dandy Bluegreen Smoothie
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

handful of fresh organic blueberries + 1/3 C frozen organic blueberries
2 small bananas
large bunch of organic dandelion greens
1 pear
1/2 scoop of "Vega"
2 C spring water



Dandy Bluegreen Smoothie
Apple Chia Green Smoothie
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

2 organic apples
2 C spring water
1 T chia seeds
1 Bosc pear
large bunch of organic dandelion greens
handful organic baby spinach
2 small bananas
splash of almond extract

Apple Chia Green Smoothie
Fruity Green Smoothie
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

2 large organic kale leaves
2 organic pears
1/2 an avocado
1/2 C frozen mango
1 small banana
2 C spring water
Fruity Green Smoothie

My Creamy Dreamy
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

2 C spring water
1/2 scoop of Vega
1 and 1/2 frozen bananas
8 oz frozen organic blueberries
2 large collard leaves
1 small avocado

Starfruit Green Smoothie
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

Blend 1 large starfruit with enough water to blend. Strain the juice through a strainer and return the  juice to the blender. Now add:
2 collard leaves
handful of parsley
2 frozen bananas
1 C frozen peaches

Kiwi Pear Green Smoothie
by elizabeth @ raw living and learning

1 pear
1 kiwi
2 bananas
2 collard leaves
2 C ice
1/2 scoop Vega

Now here are some great recipes from the magazine "Whole Living".

"Green Smoothie" from Whole Living Magazine
1 C kale or collard greens, firmly packed, coarsley chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and coarse chop
1 large banana, coarse chop
2 and 1/4 C water

"Antioxidant Smoothie" from Whole Living Magazine
2 C mixed berries (9oz)
1 C unsweetened pomegranate juice
1 C water

+JMJ+ Today I am grateful for suffering. P.S. My spell check was not working so please forgive any typos. Peace!


Comments

Catherine said…
I love what you wrote about fasting... Great food for thought... I also had a cleansing day today... What a great idea to do it every Friday!
Debra said…
It all looks so good! We love our smoothies and chia~
Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet
Cynthia said…
Great smoothie recipes thanks for sharing.
Great Lenten thoughts too. Cynthia

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining