Kid Approved Green Smoothie

Over loaded Blender!

 
I have a problem of over loading my blender when making green smoothies for the family. My Blendtec blender actually flashes a warning memo to me when I do this...you'd think I'd learn. I load it this full, pulse it a few times and then add in the rest of the greens. That usually works.  
Our kiddos are quite accustomed to their green smoothies but if you are slowly easing into green smoothies there is a method that proves successful. Start out with your ratio of fruit to greens high. Use more fruit than greens and slowly creep the ratio of greens up. This way your tastes will change slowly and you will succeed at consuming larger quantities of greens. If you jump right in using too many greens you set yourself up for failure. A good example is this recipe I am going to share. It has 4 cups of fresh dandelion greens in it; that's a lot of greens. When I first started making the children green smoothies over 3 years ago I started with maybe 2 leaves of dandelion! Then each week added more and more greens until they were able to drink smoothies with 4 cups of fresh greens in them. They never noticed the taste changing because I did it so gradually. This same principle holds true for adults trying green smoothies for the first time. And don't forget to rotate your greens each day. Alternate between say kale/romaine/collards/dandelion using a different one each day.
Here is one of our current green smoothie recipes. If you are new to them simply reduce the greens to a few leaves of your choice. Try that ratio for a few weeks and then add 2 more leaves of greens the third week and so on...

Dandelion Mango Tango

serves 8
 
4 cups of fresh dandelion greens, with stems
16 oz bag of frozen mango
6 ripe, peeled bananas (skins should have loads of brown spots)
Juice of 3 tangerines
water as needed for blending
Blend all of the ingredients in blender until smooth. Enjoy!

They always ask for more!! Beautiful!

+JMJ+ Today I am grateful for a very powerful and forgiving blender!!


Comments

kelli said…
love the name of your smoothie, and your boys are adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining