How to Cut a Pummelo


                 Gift from a Sweet Friend, a Bowl Full of Pummelos!

What is a pummelo you ask?? Well, I have posted previously about this wonderful citrus. You can read more about them here:  http://www.essortment.com/all/whatisapummel_rldn.htm
My dear friend has a tree in her yard and I am fortunate enough to receive baskets full from her when they are in season. How does one eat such a fruit you ask? Well, they are LOADED with seeds. You have to cut them a certain way to avoid all of the seeds. This is the way I do it and it works great! Follow along step-by-step here:
How to Cut a Pummelo Step by Step

Slice off Each End

With a Long, Sharp Knife Begin to "Fillet" off the Skin

Draw the Knife down in a Smooth, Sawing Motion
 Make a Backwards "C" Around the Fruit

Continue Removing all of the Skin


Make Four Slices Around the Center


Remove any Remaining Seeds from the Cut Flesh 


Now how do you eat it? You could just cut it up and eat it like a grapefruit or have it in an amazing breakfast salad like I do. I love the combination of pummelo and radish. They go together so well for me and I adore how they taste together with just a hint of honey drizzled on top. Oh, and don't forget the sprouts, I added them at the last minute. Take a look at the beautiful organic white radishes I got from my local produce buying club. Here is my simple recipe for
Pummelo and White Radish Salad
1 pummelo, peeled and diced
Organic romaine, cut into thin ribbons
2 organic white radishes, cut into half rounds
raw white sesame seeds
A drizzle of local orange blossom honey or tupelo if available
Red clover sprouts





~JMJ~Today I am grateful for fresh, local, organic produce!! I have been buying a half basket every week from a farmer up the road from my home. I pick it up at the local health food store. It has been really good and I am having fun making spur of the moment recipes based on what is in each weeks mystery basket. I never know what will be in each weeks batch, so that keeps it exciting and perhaps a bit challenging too when I am pressed for time and need to plan a menu last minute. But I am just thankful that I can eat local!

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining