Super Simple Raw Portobello Recipe

              RAW Portobello Salad
I found two different sources of information on portobello mushrooms and have shared the info here:

About Portobello Mushrooms
Source: http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Produce-638/portobello.aspx



"Portobello, pronounced [por-toh-BEHL-loh]The portobello also called portabella is really simply a brown crimini mushroom in disguise. Evidently the usage of the two words "portobello vs. portabella" is simply an issue of a marketing brand. Once the little brown crimini grows up to be about 4" - 6" in diameter he is deemed to be a portobello.


And How It Got Its Name


A brown crimini mushroom is a juvenile portobello. There as many theories on the heritage of the name as there were for why is a Flatiron steak called a Flatiron steak! We referred to Elizabeth Schneider's vegetable bible "Vegetables from Amaranth to Zucchini" for some truth and learned that the only information available is theory. It seems that there are as many "origins" as there are experts to quote them. Here are some of the main ones:


Named after Portobello Road in London which has many high end antique shops and other fashionable establishments.


Named after a T.V. show called Portobello


The portobello in Northern Italy is called "cappellone" which means "big hat".

The most important thing to know is that it is a big brown mushroom. Its little brother (crimini) is a little brown mushroom.


Buy And Store


Select plump firm and solid mushrooms. Avoid the limp or dried looking ones. They should not be shriveled or slippery (which indicates decomposition). The mushroom should have a nice earthy smell.
Remove the mushrooms from any wrapping and spread on a tray and cover with paper toweling. Don't moisten the toweling or the mushrooms and place them in the refrigerator in an area that allows the air to circulate. Avoid placing any other items on top of them. The mushrooms should keep about 5 - 6 days. "




Portobello Mushrooms Nutritional Info.

(source: http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/1889001.html)
Nutrition Highlights
Portobello mushroom (raw), 100g
Calories: 26
Protein: 2.5g
Carbohydrate: 5.1g
Total Fat: 0.2g
Fiber: 1.5g
*Excellent source of: Niacin (4.5mg)
*Good source of: Potassium (484mg), and Selenium (11mcg)
*Foods that are an “excellent source” of a particular nutrient provide 20% or more of the Recommended Daily Value. Foods that are a “good source” of a particular nutrient provide between 10 and 20% of the Recommended Daily Value.


When I desire a "meaty" meal I reach for a thick portobello mushroom. Today I wanted a super simple and quick dinner that I could get on the table in less than 5 minutes! Here it is in all its simplicity:

Raw Portobello Salad
1 large portobello, cleaned and sliced
organic baby spinach
1/2 of a sweet onion thinly sliced
3-4 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
red radish sprouts
Assembly:
Place the spinach onto a dinner plate, top with the onion, sundried tomatoes, sliced portobello and lastly the radish sprouts. Top with a drizzle of this dressing I found posted on The Sunny Raw Kitchen:
Tomato Dressing

Posted by Ingrid on Natural Living Cuisine
PREP: 5 Minutes TOTAL: 5 Minutes
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
¼ cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon celtic salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked mixed pepper
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
Put all ingredients into the blender, except olive oil, and blend until mixed. While blender is still running slowly pour in olive oil, blend until mixture is creamy. Store in salad dressing bottle and refrigerate. Keeps about 5 days. Shake well before serving.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
Enjoy!

+JMJ+Today I am grateful for learning about a quick and effective exercise routine I can do this new year as I continue on my path to health and strength; 4 min cardio--awesome! I can handle that.

Comments

Mr. H. said…
That meal looks so very good...wow. I have got to try it myself. Very interesting information on the mushrooms, I had no idea why they were named portobello. One of our goals for this next year is to up our raw diet to about 80%, so we will be looking for more raw food ideas that compliment our fruits and vegetables. Happy New Year.
Elizabeth said…
Happy New Year to you as well. That is fantastic!! 80% raw--boy will you reap the benefits. Can't wait to see what raw recipes you make and also hear about the benefits you all begin to feel. I thought I ate healthy before going raw but when I started feeling the benefits after making the big transition, I was amazed!! I never knew I could feel this good. Actually I never knew how bad I was feeling all those years eating processed stuff along side my fruits and vegetables. Who knew??
I am sooo grateful that I learned about raw living foods.
Peace & Raw Health,
E

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining