Raw Birthday Cake


















Raw Cacao Birthday Cake

Our son, Eric Jr., turned four yesterday. We took our five children to a movie in 3-D, came home for dinner, gifts and raw cake!!!! Here is a photo of the youngest three in their 3-D glasses.

Eric Jr. is on the left, Mason in the middle and Aidan on the right. The older two refused to pose.  All five children really enjoyed the flick. But I think they liked the raw cake even better. Here is a photo of Eric Jr. before he blew out his candles. He did not want his picture taken, he just wanted to dig into that cake. He was asking me all day when he could have some. Too funny!


I will NOT smile while you all sing!

Watch the expression change.


Blowing out the candles...gonna get a bite soon.

Now look at this expression, pure happiness....raw cacao happiness!!

"My fork is stuck."


"Oh, I got it out, back to the cake."



I used two recipes for inspiration. One was from Rawfully Tempting  and the other from the book, Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney.  
My crust recipe was from Rawfully Tempting's Chocolate Mousse Cake. I pressed it into a spring form pan and put it in the freezer while I prepared the cake filling. For the filling I used:
1 1/2 Cups cashews, soaked
1/2 Cup filtered water + 2 Tbsp filtered water
2 T naturally decaffeinated coffee (optional)
1/2 Cup + 2 T raw agave
1/2 Cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 t vanilla extract
1 drop of almond extract
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 Cup raw cacao + 2 T (he called for cocoa powder)
1/2 Cup raw carob powder (or use all cacao)
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. Pour into the chilled crust. Cover with plastic and freeze overnight. Take out of freezer 30 minutes before serving. Store in freezer.

This cake was so amazing. It felt like you were eating a cross between chocolate ice cream, chocolate cheesecake and a chocolate bar. It was just plain good. If you love chocolate you will love this raw cake. Matthew calls his recipe a "Chocolate Hazelnut Tart". I did not use hazelnut and I did not use cocoa powder like his recipe. I used almond in place of the hazelnut extract and raw cacao and raw carob instead of the cocoa powder. I added 2 tablespoons of decaf coffee to punch up the flavor of the chocolate. It was so quick and easy to make. I was happy with everything. I would have decorated it with some cashew cream drizzle and some raw cacao syrup but I decided to keep it simple. The family was so anxious to dig in so I just put it on the birthday plate and started cutting.
Here is a picture of the birthday boy with his gifts. He is a very happy four year old! Peace and Raw Health.


~JMJ~ Today I am grateful for my son. What else can I say. I love you sooooo much!!

Comments

Cynthia said…
Happy Birthday Eric! We love you! I wish I could have some of your cake too. Ty and Dean would love to play with your cool toys too. Love always Uncle Brad Aunt Cynthia Tyler and Dean
Brenda said…
thanks for the recipe!! lovely pictures too. My little boy turns 4 this weekend. I think he'll enjoy this quite a bit too! :-) cheers, Brenda (Sydney, Australia)

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining