Stung by a Scorpion

Each year we make it a point to travel up to our favorite spot in the mountains. Some times we even get up there twice in one year. We decided to plan a our trip during the week that we normally attend the Homeschooling Conference. This year I just didn't feel the need to go to the conference and preferred a relaxing week in the mountains instead.
This is the new cabin we chose. It is in the same area that we always go but we wanted to try staying at a different cabin for some variety.

The cabin was lovely and we loved the property. Our views were stunning.







 Almost every night we enjoyed a blazing camp fire and even some glutenfree, vegan smores.
We even could go on hikes right down the hill of the property we were renting. The kids had a blast exploring all that nature has to offer.





We did many other fun things with the children to enjoy our time together. We took some of them horseback riding and the rest of us enjoyed following along in a covered wagon.






We even went on a train ride. It was very relaxing and beautiful.





I enjoyed many a raw meals enjoying the fantastic views from this deck.
When we travel my go to quick raw meal is melon!! Just slice it open and eat.

And of course each morning began with a killer green smoothie/green soup. I always pack a high speed blender!!
Our oldest son enjoyed time alone with Dad while having a blast on the water. This is their second time Whitewater Rafting.


 They are the two at the front of the boat in this picture.
So there was just one snag in all of this amazing fun. Scorpions!!!! The new cabin we rented was filled with them. They were the small, brown, North Carolina scorpions(found out the name later after I was stung). I was the one to discover them just moments after we arrived at the cabin. I was checking out all of the rooms figuring out the sleeping arrangements and scoping the area to make sure there wasn't anything that needed to be "childproofed". Then I decided to poke my head into the shower of one of the bathrooms and that is when I saw two scorpions scoot across the tub. Of course I screamed at the top of my lungs and hubby came running. He quickly smacked them with something and that was that.....or so we thought. To make a long story short, we ended up killing 10 of these scorpions. And they were not just in the cabin but outside as well crawling around in the rocks; everywhere.
I was a wreck. So nervous that one of the children was going to get stung. I kept praying and praying that it would not happen. On night 3 of our stay I was finally able to sleep. The first two nights I was so afraid I got up every half hour and checked in on the kids to make sure no scorpions were lurking about in the bedrooms. Well, it was that night that I got stung. I was unaware of it until I woke up in the morning and saw two strange holes in my leg. Hubby just assumed it was a nasty spider bite, we never even thought it could be scorpion stings....duh!!!
When they proceeded to get worse I did some snooping on the internet and saw pictures of these Brown Scorpion stings online that looked identical to mine. But I quickly learned that I was lucky to have only gotten hit 2 times, others had as many as 10 or more stings from a single scorpion. The kids joked about it saying that we at least know they are not the deadly type cause mom was still alive. Ha, ha, ha. I may have been alive but boy was I in pain!! Just when I thought it may be getting better it quickly turned ugly again.






See those lines coming off of it? That is the infection tracking up my leg. At this point I started to apply wheatgrass poultices. Everything drained out and I was on the path to healing.


Here it was towards the end of the whole ordeal, this was 3 weeks after I got stung. Nasty still but getting better. No I never went to any doctor, I felt there was no need. I just kept it as clean as possible and found the most relief when applying the poultice I made out of wheat grass pulp. I am left with scars from the stings, they are a light brown and seem to be fading as time goes by.
All in all we had an amazing time on our trip but I can assure you we will NEVER rent that cabin again! I never will forget the view though and the peacefulness I experienced as I sat out on the porch all by myself in the early morning hours.

+JMJ+ Today I am grateful that the little bugger that stung me was not the deadly type! And I am most thankful that none of the children got stung. It is a totally different story if children get stung...then it is a must to get medical treatment.

Comments

kelli said…
i'm grateful it wasn't the deadly type either! oh my word, that is scary! other than that, it looks like you had a wonderful vacation. beautiful scenic shots!
Elizabeth said…
Thanks Kelli, you are very sweet :)
blessedmama said…
Oh, no, I do not know what I would have done if I had seen scorpions in our cabin! I am way too bug-cringy, and a scorpion, no way. I liked how the title was so dramatic, and as I was reading your post, I was getting lulled in with all the wonderfulness you guys were experiencing, then pow, the pain! Youch! Good thing you know about wheatgrass poultices. Praise God you are doing well.
Elizabeth said…
Thanks blessedmama!!
Inquisitive said…
Thank you for detailing the information. It ruled out scorpion sting. So happy it didn't have more serious complications for you. Other than the nasty scorpions looks like y'all had a great time. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining