Making Coconut Water Date Fluff (Paste)


"Seek out foods that sustain, nourish, and warm you".
 quote by Terri Trespicio
While raw foods don't warm me in the sense that cooked foods warm others, they do warm me with the feeling of wellness. I feel so alive and warm with energy, when I eat raw living foods. Here is yet another way to bring raw goodness into your life with a natural sweetener from God's creation, one of which was right outside my front door :).

Coconut Water Date Fluff (Paste)
The other week I stumbled upon a great site called Blend It and Mend It. I followed her recipe for making a great all purpose sweetener in the form of a "date fluff/paste", she calls hers something different. She makes it with fresh coconut water infusing the dates with electrolytes. It turned out fantastic, so creamy, thick and delicious. I used it in a raw cookie recipe for the kids. You can also use it in smoothies, raw pies, and any raw dessert that calls for extra sweetness.
I found a fresh coconut in my neighbor's front lawn. Started hacking away at it in the kitchen with my cleaver and before long I had an amazing amount of fresh coconut water.


 This was a young green coconut and had virtually no meat inside, just fresh electrolyte filled water.

Next I pitted several Medjool dates, enough to fill an entire container. I poured the coconut water on top, making sure to cover all of the dates with the water.


 Press the dates down into the coconut water with the back of a fork. Place the covered container in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight for at least 8 hours. In the morning stir the dates well, breaking up and mashing any lumps until you have a creamy "coconut water date paste".
Coconut Water Date Fluff/ Paste
1 young coconut, water from
10-12 Medjool dates, pitted
Place dates into your container of choice, one that has a lid, and cover completely with the fresh coconut water. Make sure the dates are submersed in the coconut water. Allow to sit overnight, at least 8 hours,  covered in the refrigerator. In the morning, mash and stir the dates until creamy smooth. To turn it into a fluffy texture, process in a small food processor instead! Will keep a few days in the refrigerator, freeze for longer storage in smaller batches for future recipes.
It will keep for a few days in the refrigerator but for longer storage measure out smaller batches and freeze for future recipes.
Here is one of her recipes to try with this wonderful "coconut water date paste":
Orangeade from http://www.blenditandmendit.com/
3 oranges
1 T pure vanilla extract
1/2 C date sweetener ("coconut water date fluff/ paste")
Blend till creamy in a high speed blender.

+JMJ+ Today I am grateful for a snugly little four year old on my lap as I type this post.

Comments

Cynthia said…
Sounds wonderful. My dates are always so hard and I have trouble blending them even after I soak them. I store mine in the frig where do you keep yours?
Gee all I got from my neighbors yard was bunch of ice and snow!!!
Cynthia
Elizabeth said…
Cynthia,
I store my dates in the refrig. in a glass jar.
Peace & Raw Health,
E
Mr. H. said…
I am continually amazed at interesting recipes you come up with...proof beyond a doubt that we can enjoy just about anything while still eating nutritious and delicious foods.
Eleni said…
wow the day i can say i got a coconut from my neighbors yard!! now thats a warming feeling!

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining