My Homegrown Pineapple


My beautiful, little, homegrown pineapple! It took a loooooong time for this little gem to grow, but it was worth the wait. The flavor was exceptional. But the best part is that it ripened on the plant and was the most brilliant shade of yellow I have ever seen on a pineapple. So juicy and delicious!



Very easy to do; simply twist off the top of a store bought pineapple, place in a cup of water and patiently watch the roots begin to sprout.

You can click on this link to take you to my post showing how we constructed our own compost bins and you'll also see a picture of the pineapple top sprouting in water.
http://rawlivingandlearning.blogspot.com/2011/04/constructing-compost-bin-planting.html
I planted it on April 16, 2011 and here is how it looked 7 months later. It took almost 7 more months before my beautiful little pineapple was ready to be picked. I actually transferred it into the ground as soon as the plant reached this 7 month mark, as shown here.
 
 
It was very fun sprouting, planting and harvesting this pineapple. The 3 youngest children really got a kick out of it. You could probably even grow one inside if you live up north. Give it a try!
Pineapple goes great with homegrown sprouts. Here I enjoyed it with sunflower greens and some sprouted fenugreek.
Or you could dice it up and add to your favorite salsa recipe.

 
 
+JMJ+ Today I am grateful for fruit of my labor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining