Another Salad Dressing Post

Today I would like to share some really great raw salad dressings. Wait, aren't all salad dressings considered raw? No they are not. Remember, you have to be very careful about the ingredients you use. Raw salad dressings are as unprocessed as possible. Using ingredients that are as close as possible to their natural state. That is why I choose first cold pressed olive oils, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar and coconut vinegar, fresh herbs, vegetables and fruits. You get the picture. But keep in mind sometimes I will use a small amount of ingredients that may not be truly raw. For example, real maple syrup is heated to reduce the amount of water content and to make the syrup into what it is when we purchase it in jars. And I am pretty sure balsamic vinegar is not raw. I still love the taste sometimes in dressings so I don't mind using a tiny amount. I am not an extreme raw foodist. If I choose to eat something that is not raw I am fine with that. Keep it simple or you set yourself up for failure. I have to look at things in a positive light and I feel very positive that my diet is 95% or more raw! How does one truly calculate the percentage?? Who cares, right?
 Here are some great recipes to try:

Orange Sweet and Salty Dressing and Marinade

3 T Organic Tamari
1 tsp organic orange zest
2 T fresh squeezed organic orange juice
2 tsp organic Dijon mustard
2 T raw honey or other raw sweetener
pinch sea salt
pinch fresh ground pepper
2/3 C First cold pressed olive oil
Whisk all together till fully combined.
This makes an excellent marinade as well.
***My daughter Madison had a great idea....To make an Asian style,  add 1/4 tsp ginger, 1 clove pressed garlic, a sprinkle of black raw sesame seeds. 

The next 4 recipes come from the book, EVERYDAY RAW by Matthew Kenney. I have changed the recipes because he uses agave and I do not. Wherever you see raw honey or other raw sweeteners that is where he would have used agave. Feel free to use whatever sweetener you are comfortable with. I am going to start experimenting with new raw sweeteners I have discovered. I will post something once I have tried them.

Ginger-Miso Dressing

1/2 C white miso (I use Miso Master Organic brand)
1/3 C raw honey or other sweetener
1/3 C Bragg's unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1/4 C sesame oil
1/4 C fresh lemon juice
1 C fresh ginger, chopped

Blend well in a blender.
Yields 1 Quart

Creamy Sesame Dressing
This goes well with seaweed and also sturdy greens or chopped vegetables.

1/2 Tamari
1/2 C Raw Tahini
1/4 C sesame oil
2 T raw honey
1/4 C Bragg's unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1-inch piece ginger
1/4 C first cold pressed olive oil
1 tsp fresh lime juice

Blend all till smooth, in a blender.
Yield 2 cups.

Creamy Thai Dressing (Spicy)
Try this one on sea vegetables and kelp noodles.
3/4 C sesame oil
1/2 C Tamari
1/4 C first cold pressed olive oil
1 T real maple syrup (this is not raw)
4 Thai bird chilies or 3 T red chili flakes
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 C chopped cashews, that have been soaked 1-2 hrs then air dried
Blend in blender. Yields 2 1/2 cups.

Sweet Miso Dressing
He says this is as much of a dipping sauce as a dressing--it goes well with any salad, sea vegetable, or roll.
1/4 C Raw tahini
1/4 C raw honey
1 T water
2 T mellow white miso
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl till very well combined. Yield 2 cups.

This next recipe comes from the book THE WHOLE FOODS ALLERGY COOKBOOK by Cybele Pascal. It is her favorite dressing and one of my favorites as well.

My Favorite Salad Dressing
1 small clove garlic, pressed
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped or torn
2 tsp Organic Dijon mustard
1 T raw honey
2 T unseasoned rice vinegar
2 T good quality balsamic vinegar (Manicardi #12)
1/2 First cold pressed olive oil

Blend the garlic, basil, mustard, and honey into a paste. Add the rice vinegar and balsamic vinegar, mix well. Now add the olive oil, slowly blending in a little at a time. Once you finished adding the oil and everything is well blended, enjoy!
Makes about 3/4 Cup.

Now I will feature a recipe from the book FEEDING THE WHOLE FAMILY by Cynthia Lair.
Note: She uses tofu in this cookbook and I personally do not. The only soy products I use are fermented and I use them in small amounts on a limited basis. But, the book in general has some really great recipes for your non-raw family members. It is a great book for learning how to incorporate whole foods into their diets. If you are not a soy person either just skip over those recipes or find ways to alter the recipes to your liking. I have even found some recipes that I can make for myself, raw. I love converting traditional recipes to raw ones. Here is her balsamic vinaigrette:

Balsamic Vinaigrette
2 T good quality balsamic vinegar like Manicardi #12 aged
1 tsp real maple syrup or raw honey
3/4 tsp organic Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
3-4 T First cold pressed olive oil

Place all dressing ingredients except the oil in a bowl. Stir to mix and then add in the oil a little at a time, whisking well until incorporated.

This dressing is nice on baby spinach salads, but you can enjoy it on any of your favorite salad recipes.
Hopefully you can try some or all of these great recipes. Share your favorite recipe in the post a comment section below. I would love to get more salad recipes in my collection!
Today for lunch I am going to have the Creamy Thai Dressing on some kelp noodles mixed with sea vegetables, yellow squash and green zucchini. Yum!
Peace And Eat a Salad Today!
~JMJ~ Today I am grateful for the return of my husband and our oldest son. They traveled to Michigan last week and I am always so grateful when everyone returns home safely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining