I Made Kim Chi!!!!

I am so excited. I have been wanting to make my own Kim Chi and I did it! It was super easy and I can't wait to make my next batch. This first batch was pretty flaming hot, so next time I will tone it down a notch.
The recipe called for Napa Cabbage but I used a regular head of green cabbage instead. I also made a few changes to other aspects of the recipe but it all turns out the same in the end. I try not to deviate too far from the original but it is always fun to add your own creativity to a base recipe.
I will begin with the recipe and then show you how I put it all together:
Kim Chi Base
(NOTE: You will need a pair of vinyl gloves)
1 whole head of Napa Cabbage (I used regular green cabbage)
1/4 C sea salt
1/4 C or less of ko choo kah rhoo (red chili powder from Asian markets)
1/4 C warm water

Additions to Base
1 clove of pressed garlic
1 T grated ginger
3-4 scallions, sliced on the diagonal, greens too
2 T fish sauce or anchovy paste (I used a curry paste)

Secret Sweetening Mixture
1 C filtered water
1/2 of an organic apple
1/2 of an organic pear
1/2 of a vidalia onion

Here is the process of making Kim Chi:
Chop your cabbage into bite size pieces or use a food processor to rough chop.
Measure 1/4 C of sea salt and add it to a small bowl of warm water, stir until dissolved. Put cabbage into a large bowl and pour salt water over the cabbage. Stir well. Cover with some clear plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temp for 4 hours. I stirred the cabbage every hour to redistribute the salt water and keep the cabbage coated and moist.

                                   Cabbage and Salt Water

While the cabbage and salt water were doing their stuff, I used this time to gather my jars. I like to reuse in our household, a great lesson for the children, so I use old jars from various foods. I washed them in hot soapy water and then sterilized the jars and lids in boiling water. Let them dry and get ready for the next step.

                                            Reusing Jars

Next, rinse all of the salt water off of the cabbage and allow to drain in a colander. Prepare the chili paste by adding 1/4 of a cup of warm filtered water to 1/4 cup of ko choo kah rhoo in a small bowl (I had some powdered chipolte in there too). Stir to make a paste. Put the drained cabbage into a large bowl. Add the pepper paste to the cabbage along with the garlic, ginger, scallions, and the anchovy paste or fish sauce.
In a blender prepare your secret sweetener. Add the water to the blender and then the apple, pear and onion. Blend till creamy smooth. Pour this into the large bowl of cabbage and chili paste.
                                                    All of the Unmixed Ingredients

Now it is time to get dirty, well not really because you are going to be wearing gloves. You don't want to burn your hands with the chili paste! Put on your gloves and start mixing the Kim Chi until every cabbage leaf is thoroughly coated with the sauce ingredients.





 Once well mixed, start filling your jars with the Kim Chi. Do not fill jars to the top, leave an inch or more of space at the top. Put lids on but do not screw on tight. Allow jars to sit on your counter top for a full 24 hours. After 24 hours you can tighten the lids a little more and place them in the refrigerator to chill. The Kim Chi will continue to ferment slowly in the refrigerator. The refrigerated jars of Kim Chi will last about 1 month. Enjoy!

                                     My Recipe Made This Much


~JMJ~Today I am grateful for slowly but surely accomplishing many of the goals that I had set for myself. And I look forward to attaining those that I have yet to accomplish!!

Comments

Mr. H. said…
Kim Chi has been on my mind of late as our cabbages begin to fill out. I really like the way you make yours and will have to try it sometime soon...with apples and such. Check out this link if you want to see how we made ours last year.

http://subsistencepatternfoodgarden.blogspot.com/2009/0

8/kimchi.html
kelli said…
great job!!! i was just reading how benefical kim chi is to our health!
Unknown said…
that is pretty easy!! I love Kim chi too, but it's always a bit too spicy for me!
evergreen said…
That looks so good! Thanks for posting such clear directions :)

Popular posts from this blog

Seed Yogurt

Raw Vegan Spring Rolls

Simplifying the Concept of Proper Food Combining